Tealight Candle Caused Flat Fire Near Charing Cross Hospital

Blaze started in accommodation block for NHS staff

London Fire Brigade has issued a warning after a tealight candle set fire to a flat on Claybrook Road near Charing Cross Hospital.

The blaze started at around 9.05pm this Friday (8 January) on the fourth floor of a 16 storey tower that is mainly used as accommodation for NHS staff.

Around 35 firefighters from Hammersmith, Fulham, Kensington and Wandsworth fire stations attended the incident and had the fire under control in just over an hour. The Brigade's 999 Control Officers took 40 calls to the fire.

The flat was badly damaged but there are no reports of any injuries.

Fire investigators believe the fire was caused by items coming into contact with a tealight candle.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said, "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.

"It's really important you never leave a candle unattended and always keep them away from anything else which can easily catch fire."

Firefighters' top candle safety tips

  • Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
  • Place candles, incense and oil burners in heat-resistant holders and place them on a stable surface where they won't be knocked over.
  • Keep them away from materials that might catch fire - things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
  • Be aware that tealights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
  • LED candles are a great alternative - they're safe even if you fall asleep or forget to blow them out.

January 11, 2021